Followers

Sunday, April 28, 2013

I finished my action research plan this week... I like how it is coming together and what started as several ideas has become one completely workable research project.  I am now looking forward to gathering all of the data and realizing the effect of iPads on instruction.  It will be exciting to share my results once I am done!

Here is my plan so far:


Action Planning Template
Goal: Does the addition of iPads into the everyday routine of classroom instruction have a positive effect on student Math and Science test scores?
Action Steps(s):
Person(s) Responsible:
Timeline: Start/End
Needed Resources
Evaluation
Disaggregate data from 2011-2012 3rd graders including STAAR scores, classroom grades and district assessment.
Campus Principal, Assistant Principal, Counselor,
Rachel Hayes
May 2013
2012 3rd grade Math STAAR scores, 2011-2012 District assessment scores in Math and Science
Document overall scores of 3rd graders in 2011-2012. Note deficits in specific objectives from each subject area.
Collect scores (District Assessment, STAAR, classroom grades) from 2012-2013
Campus Principal, Assistant Principal, Counselor,
Rachel Hayes
August 2013
2013 4th grade Math STAAR scores, 2012-2013 district assessment scores in Math and Science.
Document overall scores of 4th graders in 2012-2013. Note deficits in specific objectives from each subject area.
Compare District assessment scores, STAAR scores and classroom grades from 3rd graders in 2011-2012 to data from same assessments from 4th graders in 2012-2013.
Counselor,
Rachel Hayes
September 2013
Scores/data from both school years.
Chart to provide side by side comparison of both years data.
Compare scores of both years, paying special attention to the areas of deficit from first year.  Were there improvements in those specific areas?
Draw a conclusion based on data compared and collected as to whether or not iPad integration was effective.        
Campus Principal, Rachel Hayes
September 2013
Charted Math STAAR scores, District Assessment scores, and classroom grades from both years.
Conclude results of research to determine if iPads are an effective instructional tool that will assist in improving student performance.


1. SETTING THE FOUNDATION

Set up meetings with principal, counselor and Assistant principal to discuss the issue of determining effectiveness of iPad use during daily math and science instruction.


2. ANALYZING DATA

Use multiple sources of data such as STAAR math test results, District Assessment results in math and science, formative and summative assessments in math and science, and classroom grades in math and science.


3. DEVELOPING DEEPER UNDERSTANDING

Conduct meetings with stakeholders to determine if the research is going as planned, and if there are any areas that need to be looked into on a deeper level. 
 

4. ENGAGE IN SELF-REFLECTION

I will ask questions of myself,the program and my site supervisors during the time of research such as:

-Are there teachers who use the iPads more consistently than others?

-Are all of the teachers using the same apps for instruction?

-How independent are the students when using the programs?  Are they working in groups, or partners? Are all of the students having equal amounts of iPad time?

 
5. EXPLORING PROGRAMMATIC PATTERNS

After meeting with my site supervisor, counselor and assistant principal and going through the self reflection phase, I will make a more clear and concise research plan and anticipate results.
 

6. DETERMINING DIRECTION

I am clear about the direction of my research.  Because the iPads have been in place for this entire school year,  I will be able to effectively meet the timeline I have set for myself.  As the timeline progresses and I continue to meet with the stakeholders in the projects, I will reevaluate specific direction as needed.


7. TAKING ACTION FOR SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT

After taking the above steps, I will develop a written plan to continue to guide my project. I will use Tool 7.1 to assist in the development of written plan.


8. SUSTAIN IMPROVEMENT
When I am able to determine the results of my research, I will use the data to push either for or against continued iPad usage on our campus.  If the results show that iPads are helping to improve scores and performance in math and science, I will work with teachers and principals on my campus to determine how the iPad usage can be beneficial for ELA/social studies as well.  How can our campus achieve the maximum benefits from iPads being available to all of our students, and what are the limitations of them in the different subject areas. 

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very interesting plan!
    I am anxious to follow and see what data you find.
    Is training needed by teachers to effectively use the iPads?
    Are there any programs that have been proven at this point to be affective in increasing student achievement as of now in the subjects mentioned above?
    These might be questions to add to your research, in order to reshape some of the wonderings and methods in your plan?
    Thank you for sharing!
    Also, I was hoping you would comment on my action research plan, so I can finish the Week 4 assignment.
    I just need one more reply on my action research.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your plan looks very detailed and well-planned. I am very curious about this topic because we have discussed the implementation of ipads at my school. I love how you stated that at the end of your research you will either push for or against the use of this technology based on your study. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Shawna and Mr. Parks! I appreciate your comments! Mr. Parks, your suggestions are extremely relevant to my research and I will be adding them to my plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology is such an important tool in the life of today's student. How effectively the teacher is utilizing it is something to be questioned because I think if a teacher's not making the technology relevant to the learning, then what's the point? Your plan looks good and covers the area of data according to various test scores. You may want to think about what programs on the ipad are the teachers using? Are they all using the same ones?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete